Mike Savage is again refusing to reveal his campaign donations before this month's municipal election. Savage doesn't have to make that information public under the law until 60 days after the October 20th vote, but the other five Halifax mayoral candidates have agreed to release their donations by Friday. Tom Martin, who first challenged the gang to reveal their donations during a debate last week, told another debate last night Savage's refusal goes against his promise for more public accountibility and again challenged Savage to put his money where his mouth is. While Savage is not required to do so until after election day, his unwillingness to reveal his donations with the others now will leave a question in the minds of voters. What doesn't he want us to know?
The federal NDP says it's standing by MP Peter Stoffer after his outburst this week at Conservative MP Rob Anders. When told by reporters Anders had suggested Tom Mulcair hastened Jack Layton's death by pressuring him to ignore his health to fight the 2011 election, Stoffer said,"Are you absolutely frickin' serious?" He then went on to suggest Anders was stupid and "a dickhead." His comments won't be an issue say the New Democrats. Good. It's re-freshing to hear a politician tell it like it is.
A contest to see who can throw the best party is raising some concern in the city. It's a challenge to see what group of university students can put on the wildest party. Michael MacCrudden is behind the online reality show Beer 4 Breakfast and he wants to bring it to Halifax. Beer 4 Breakfast has already stirred controversy in Winnipeg and London, Ontario where police busted up the party. The Halifax department's Constable Pierre Bourdages, the new department spokesman, warns police are concerned about events focused on drinking. Councillor Sue Uteck says the group's not welcome. Even Health Minister Dave Wilson waded in, urging students here not to participate. Kids will be kids however, You know it's going to happen. We can only hope the organizers will make sure things don't get out of hand. If not, I'm sure police will only be too glad to take care of things.
Good to see the city getting smarter with its winter parking issues. This coming winter we will again be permitted to park our cars on city streets overnight. Only when stormy weather is in the forecast will we be unable to do so. That policy change is much better than the blanket parking ban in effect in past winters. Still, some people don't hear the forecast or just plain forget. Now city hall's talking about an alert system similar to a program in use in Saint John. E-mails, texts or even phone calls would inform residents when a ban's in effect. Whether it will be in place in time for this winter is a question mark. But the sooner, the better. It's a good idea.
Have a great day. Get involved. And if you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.