The lazy, hazy days of summer are in full swing and so are summer camps and activities designed for all ages.
But if you haven't signed up for anything and wish you had, The Weekly News has rounded up a small sampling of 'unusual' ongoing activities that might help fill some of those hours.
1. Spools & Bobbins in Fall River offers year round sewing classes for adults. This summer, kids seven and older can enjoy classes and camps at the sewing studio. Benefits include reinforcing math and reading skills while encouraging creativity. Class sizes are small and spots are available for both beginner and more experienced students.
When: July 5 to Aug. 23
Where: 86 Ingram Dr., Fall River
Ages: 7 and up
2. Always wanted to learn how to fly? Try an Aerial Silks class at Studio IN Essence. Break out of your average gym routine and learn how to soar with experienced instructors who'll teach you how to enjoy a great workout with a Cirque du Soleil flair.
When: Ongoing, check with studio
Where: 1717 Barrington St., 2nd Level
Cost: $135 plus tax for 8 weeks (once per week)
Contact: 405-5500, www.studioinessence.com, or http://tinyurl.com/8458cvm to pre-register
3. Todd Hill Farm still has spots available for its summer horse and pony camps. The new, not-for-profit business offers regular beginner to advanced lesson programs in English and Western riding. This summer, they're running three one-week day camps at their 70 acre Enfield farm. The camp includes equitation and jumping lessons, trail rides, lectures and demos, crafts and games and field trips. No previous experience is required.
When: July 23-27; Aug. 6-10; Aug. 27-31
Where: 6570 Highway 2, Enfield
Cost: $250 per child
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 497-0534, www.ToddHillFarm.com
4. Learn the martial art of Filipino Stick Fighting (Eskrima) with an experienced martial arts instructor in Dartmouth. Lessons for teenagers and adults are being held outdoors throughout the summer on Wednesday evenings at a cost of $5 per session.
Where: Dartmouth, outdoors
Ages: Teens and adults
Cost: $5 per session
Contact: Adaptive JuJitsu, www.adaptivejujitsu.com
5. Business Is Jammin' is offering free entrepreneurship camps for black youths in North Preston and Dartmouth. Campers between the ages of eight and 15 enjoy a full week of varied activities and even get to run their own business for a day.
When and Where:
July 23-27--9 a.m.-3 p.m., North Preston Recreation Centre
July 30-Aug. 3--9 a.m.-3 p.m., City Height Church, 946 Main St. Dartmouth
Aug. 7-10--9 a.m.-3 p.m., City Height Church, 946 Main St. Dartmouth
Ages: 8 to 15
Cost: Free of charge for black youth
Contact: Lysa McGrath, 403-9576 between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
6. If you've always wanted to learn to speak Italian and find yourself with extra time on your hands, how about summer Italian lessons? Federica is a native Italian speaker with more than 10 years teaching experience. She offers private or small group Italian language lessons at all levels in Halifax.
Cost: $30 per hour for private lessons, $20 an hour for two participants and $15 an hour for three or more. Teaching materials provided.
HRM also offers a wide variety of summer activities for youth and adults. Information and availability is easily accessed at