HRM is known for its amazing summer events and this year is no exception!
The Tall Ships Festival kicks off next week on July 19 and finishes with the magnificent Parade of Sail on July 23 at noon. The Pride Festival is July 20-29, with the Pride Parade happening the afternoon of July 28. Natal Day weekend events take place August 2-6, and the Halifax International Busker Festival is August 2-12. More information and more events can be found at http://www.destinationhalifax.com/visitors/festivals-events.
HRM Partners in Policing offer these personal safety tips to help ensure everyone enjoys all that our community has to offer:
• Plan ahead. Check out the respective event's website to ensure you're familiar with all that it has to offer, including parking, lost and found, etc. Designate a pre-arranged meeting place in case you get separated from your family/friends and one of you doesn't have a cell phone.
• Drink lots of water, wear sunscreen and a hat.
• If possible, take public transportation given that these events draw large crowds, causing heavy traffic and making parking difficult.
• Alcohol is served at some of our summer festivals so it's important to appoint a designated driver or take public transportation if you plan to indulge. Most importantly, if you drink, don't drive.
• Many events happen along our waterfront. Keep back from the water and don't lean over the edge.
• For parades, ensure you stay back from the parade vehicles. Stay on one side of the street and don't dart out in between floats.
• Many boaters like to take in some of our summer events from the harbour. Please boat responsibly, including appointing a designated driver. For Tall Ships 2012, touring within the harbour is permitted but vessels must proceed at a safe speed (no more than eight knots) so as to not create a significant wake. Do not approach berthed vessels too closely as there's a 30 meter buffer zone. During the Parade of Sail on July 23, boaters' access will be restricted with the harbour area, but there will be plenty of room for viewing the spectacle from the water. Check with your local club or the Tall Ships website at my-waterfront.ca/tallships.
• If you witness suspicious and/or criminal activity, including impaired driving or impaired boating, call 9-1-1 immediately.
Police officers will be on hand at many of our community events this summer to help keep people safe. We look forward to seeing you at these amazing festivities in our city!